CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Checkpoint Backups - Do I need to backup my CP nodes or just management server?

Default Checkpoint Backups - Do I need to backup my CP nodes or just management server?

I'm currently reviewing my backupís policy for our checkpoint estate. I have one management server pushing configs to 4 checkpoint firewalls.

All of our backups are focused around our management server. I've scheduled a weekly backup of our management server. We also have recent snapshots and upgrade exports.

Do I need snapshots and upgrade exports of the actual FW nodes?? I seem to remember that the nodes aren't that important as long as you've got the management server backed up. If the node failed, you'd just have to reinstall SPLAT, reset SIC and push the policy.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Yes, backup the firewalls. But not with snapshots or upgrade_export. Use the backup command.

What you want backed up on the firewall is the routing and addressing. Plus maybe any other custom changes you've made

Default Re: Checkpoint Backups - Do I need to backup my CP nodes or just management server?

Quote Originally Posted by northlandboy View Post
    Yes, backup the firewalls. But not with snapshots or upgrade_export. Use the backup command.

What you want backed up on the firewall is the routing and addressing. Plus maybe any other custom changes you've made
    On the firewalls, you just need to backup a few files:

1- $FWDIR/boot/modules/fwkern.conf
    2- /etc/sysconfig/netconf.C
    3- /etc/hosts

All of this can be accomplished with open-source code such as RANCID

Default Re: Checkpoint Backups - Do I need to backup my CP nodes or just management server?

Quote Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post

1- $FWDIR/boot/modules/fwkern.conf
    2- /etc/sysconfig/netconf.C
    3- /etc/hosts

Brilliant, thanks for the tips.

So, just to clarify, The standard Checkpoint "backup" won't do everything needed? I still need to look at RANCID??
    Last edited by dazzler; 2012-10-29 at 20:02.

It depends if you've made changes to fwkern.conf. I don't think those are included when using 'backup'. (I may be wrong on this).

If you don't make changes to that file, then a 'backup' will do what you want, with little work required on your part.

If you're doing something extra, then you will want to look at your own scripts, etc.

I recommend the following

migrate exports on the Management Server
    backup of the Management Server
    backup of the gateways

web export of the security policies to help document them.
    In addition to the backups, then also document the gateways configuration.
    Also any changes made to the any files, document these as well.

That way if you have replace anything those small modifications made 6 months ago and not rememberd come back to bite you, then you have them documented.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
    Also any changes made to the any files, document these as well.

That way if you have replace anything those small modifications made 6 months ago and not rememberd come back to bite you, then you have them documented.

Nobody read documentation. Easier said than done

That's exactly what RANCID is designed for. It will backup whatever you need to backup.

That way when it comes time to restore, you do NOT have to remember anything. Just go with whatever you have in RANCID

Cheers guys, I've completed backups of all the nodes and also scheduled a weekly backup.

I'll have a look at RANCID when I get time. Is it easy to setup or do I have to be a master at scripting :(