CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

I'd like to thank everyone involved for making "The CPUG Challenge" a great success.
We helped a lot of people see and learn a bit more about R80.10, while having some fun.
We will be using this success to try and bring more events to more locations soon. -E

Thread: Seeking explanation of high ports listening:

Default Seeking explanation of high ports listening:

Hey all,

A customer has to show all listening ports on there firewall and netstat -an reveals several (approx. 20) ports > 50000 listening to 0.0.0.0 (IE all) on their box. I thought maybe it was for NAT or something along those lines, but when I checked my VM SPLAT, after installing a super basic policy ensuring no NATing/VPN was enabled, I found the close to the same amount of high ports listening on it. Adding the -p tag showed they all (with the exception of one) were open by fwd; therefore, a cpstop closed them. Anyone know why Check Points firewall uses these high ports?

Policy properly blocks access to them; thus the need for the stealth rule, but customer still needs to explain the listening ports...

Default Re: Seeking explanation of high ports listening:

Thank you,

I actually ran across those in my initial research and saw the two > 50000 ports on the list but that doesn't explain the rest of the 20 of them... Hmm... I suppose they are for various management functionalities as well, and CP hasn't been forthcoming with my direct inquiry to them. I guess its one of those, unless you develop for CP, you'll never know. I provided what I could to customer, and emphasized the need of stealth rule and defining guiclients, due to this, and that seemed to satisfy his inquiry.

assuming the use of SecurePlatform, 'netstat -lnp' does not show all the listening ports.

Many 'listeners' are in the kernel module, and as far as I know, cannot be discovered without a port scan. Some can be gleaned from $FWDIR/conf/fwauthd.conf.