CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: System Memory is at 63% - should I be worry?

Default System Memory is at 63% - should I be worry?

I recently noticed that our Safe@Office 500 showed the System Memory is at 63%. What is the standard practice to reduce the memory to a safe range, ie. <50%.

Default Re: System Memory is at 63% - should I be worry?

Probably not a problem as long as the number is not steadily increasing over time; if it hits 100% at some point you may experience an issue. What is the uptime of the Edge box?

I'm not sure how the Edge boxes calculate that memory utilization percentage but I'm assuming it is the actual utilization for moving packets and does not include memory used for buffering/caching that could be freed at a moment's notice if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPeak.com View Post
    Probably not a problem as long as the number is not steadily increasing over time; if it hits 100% at some point you may experience an issue. What is the uptime of the Edge box?
    The uptime has been for about ten days. However, I try to reduce the log and at one point during the monthly server maintenance, rebooted the router and see if that will clear up the memory. But with no avail, the result still is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rliu9900 View Post
    The uptime has been for about ten days. However, I try to reduce the log and at one point during the monthly server maintenance, rebooted the router and see if that will clear up the memory. But with no avail, the result still is the same.
    That's probably the nominal amount of memory it uses for normal operations, once again unless it is constantly increasing (or suddenly runs out) I wouldn't bee too worried about it.

FWIW my EDGE W is showing System Memory usage of 55% and my Safe@Office 500 ADSL with a debug kernel is showing 62%. These are fairly typical values.

Remember that these platforms have fairly limited amounts of memory, so you probably can't do too much to reduce their memory usage beyond these values.