CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: 7.4 HFA3 No Defrag, No Chkdsk Install

Default 7.4 HFA3 No Defrag, No Chkdsk Install

I support a large enterprise that installed a number of Dell laptop's (E&M series) with WinXP Pro using a Quiet install.
    The install was 7.4 R1, no defrag, no checkdisk, quiet install, no dialog pop-ups for the end user, etc.

I have found that most of the laptops bluescreened fairly quickly after this install. Also, after removing Pointsec, a portion of the HDD now has bad sectors.

I know that the prot_***.sys service markes each volume with bad blocks so that Windows doesn't try to move the system code or write to it.

What typically causes it to bluescreen the device when installed on a fragmented HDD--is there anything to help me explain what is happening to the less tech savvy?

I have a copy of the Admin guide and didn't really see anything specific as to what happens in an install where defrag is not run and the fragmentation is say 13% or more.
    Last edited by ejgaston; 2011-03-16 at 10:18.

Default Re: 7.4 HFA3 No Defrag, No Chkdsk Install

I guess the only thing I have found at this point--

If, the HDD is fragmented and the MBR is also fragmented..and/or the sys32 directory is...this causes the problem.

Pointsec deleted the MBR and encrypts the entire drive. The MBR is replaced with an authentication process, so if there are MBR or sys32 files fragmented and thrown all over the drive..then it will bluescreen at some point, usually when the end user saves a file to an area that a piece of the MBR resides in, or something...

Still, looking for specifics to quote from..in the Admin guide or anywhere...so the users understand why the defrag at least is absolutely necessary when installing 7.4...

Please review sk36288 Troubleshooting Pointsec PC / FDE installation issues on Check Point supportcenter site.

Disk is too fragmented

Pointsec cannot be installed since the HDD is too fragmented.

Hope this helps

/d

That and other kb articles do help, but ultimately Pointsec DID install on a number of devices. It did not abort due to fragmentation, because the scripting was set to Silent.../QUIET, No defrag, No checkdsk, no pop up notifications, etc.

These devices do blue screen, but at various times, depending on fragmentation causing corruption, etc.

I will keep digging.

I at least presented a "fix", uninstall checkpoint FDE through Control Panel, then reinstall with latest version using defrag and 5 point checkdisk process. It's up to them now, whether or not they want to be proactive or reactive...