CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

** Announcing the #CPUGchallenge **

I'm very happy to announce that CPUG will be hosting "The CPUG Challenge" during CPX this year.
It promises to be a fun and interesting event that will test (and maybe even expand) your knowledge of Check Point.
Whether or not you plan to attend CPX, we have something for you. Please check out this post or the CPUGchallenge.com web site for more information. -E

Thread: New Year! New Router! Set Up Question?

Default New Year! New Router! Set Up Question?

Hello to all & Happy New Year.

I manage a small (5 Computers) network for specialty retail store that was the subject of an attack which almost cost us $12,000.00. The store uses QuickBooks Payroll service. An unknown attacker managed to drop in a VNC Viewer and was able to view the QB data. They initiated a $12,000.00 payroll disbursement to an unknowing/univolved 3rd party. They also had a wire transfer order for the exact amount ready to move the funds off to another bank account. The short story is it was caught in time, the accounts were frozen, and the $12K returned. Intuit has been SUPER helpful and is doing a forensic on an image of the drive. However, it has drawn attention to the network security (or lack of) and how best to remedy the situation.

I have purchased a Z100G and would like to install it directly behind the Comcast/SMC 8014 Router.

The current configuration consists of the Comcast/SMC 8014 (10.1.10.1) and an old 10M hub. Computers 10.1.10.2 (QBserver), 3 (Owner), and 4 (Front Counter Sales) are the most important (running multi-user Quickbooks) and are connected directly to the SMC Router/Switch using 3 of the 4 available ports. The 4th port links the hub which connects compters 10.1.10.5 (shipping) and 10.1.10.6 (embroidery).

I have a static IP address of 66.31.xxx.37 and DNS 68.87.71.230 and 68.87.73.246. I was using MS Windows Remote Desktop Connection to allow the owner access from home but have since disabled this.

On my first try, I was unsuccessful in connecting to the network. This may be due to my own impatience. But I shall try again and would greatly appreciate any advise.

Default Re: New Year! New Router! Set Up Question?

How is this related to Check Point products?
    Barry J. Stiefel ("Stee-ful" or "Shtee-ful")
    B.S., MBA, CCSA/CCSE/CCSE+/CCSI
    Resilience RCSE/RCSI, Fortinet FCSE
    CISSP, MCSE, NSA ISM
    Founder of CPUG
    Founder of CPUG University

My apologies.
    CPUG > Sofaware Products > ZoneAlarm Secure Wireless Router. (Z100G)
    Perhaps I am in the wrong place?

Happy New Year!

Whoops! I overlooked that. Welcome to CPUG!

Who here can help him out?
    Barry J. Stiefel ("Stee-ful" or "Shtee-ful")
    B.S., MBA, CCSA/CCSE/CCSE+/CCSI
    Resilience RCSE/RCSI, Fortinet FCSE
    CISSP, MCSE, NSA ISM
    Founder of CPUG
    Founder of CPUG University

This is most likely not the problem but having just spent too much time trying to hunt down a bad connection, it turns out that the comcast routers can only drive about 50 feet of Cat5 cable before they get flaky.

After that, the ZA box is basically the same thing as the Edge/Safe@ box, so starting with dantro's FAQ is where I would go http://www.cpug.org/forums/check-poi...edges-faq.html.

The most basic of setting this up:

plug the WAN port of the ZA into the comcast, plug a laptop into one of the LAN ports on the ZA, open a browser and go to http://my.firewall. The wizaed should walk you through the set up.