CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: how the PointSec protect the user's data

Default how the PointSec protect the user's data

Hi All,

Check Point says the PointSec Full Disk Encryption has the features like:
    Automatic encryption of all hard drive contents, including the operating system, system files and temporary and erased files. All logical partitions are boot-protected and encrypted, sector-by-sector. As a result, attempts to copy individual files, or introduce rogue programs for brute force attacks, are made impossible - even if the hard drive is physically transferred to another computer.

Pointsec is installed on my PC and bound to my logon credentials let us say "ABC"; status is 100% encrypted.
    Preboot authentication is OK. In the middle of ABC's work he logged off ( not shutdown) the PC; Admistrator or any other user logged on with their account.

In this situation whether the ABC's data is visible to others or not? I see the data is visible to all users who has access to that PC then how the PointSec protect the ABC's data?

I appreciate your explanation about how and what way the PointSec protects the data.

Thanks.

Default Re: how the PointSec protect the user's data

Pointsec (which we now call Full Disk Encryption) is most effective when the computer is physically powered off. The data on the drive is encrypted and inaccessible by normal means.

When the computer is powered up, you are presented with a pre-boot authentication screen. Once you authenticate, the encryption process is fairly transparent. Reads are decrypted, writes are encrypted. It all happens below the covers, so to speak.

If you leave your FDE-encrypted computer powered on and someone else logs into your computer, they may or may not be able to see all your data. This depends on whatever access controls are configured in your system. If a piece of malware gets into your computer while you're logged in and browsing the web, the malware will have just as much access to your data on your drive as any other program running on your system.

Default Re: how the PointSec protect the user's data

Thanks PhoneBoy, I understand now.