CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Next business day?

Default Next business day?

I'd actually like the forum's consensus on what constitutes "Next Business Day" for an RMA.

We've been bitten hard by Check Point's lax approach to shipping RMAs in some cases items are taking more than a week, which is clearly unacceptable. Looking through the SR details I can see Check Point isn't holding spares in country and is shipping them in NBD from Singapore, in earlier cases we've had to wait for spares to ship from Israel via London and that was supposedly for a 6 hour SLA.

Personally my expectation is "a replacement unit at my premises by close of business tomorrow", is that unreasonable?

Default Re: Next business day?

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me and that's what I'd expect as well.

NBD = the next business day for the customer

I think that is perfectly reasonable as that is what I would expect as well.

I think there may be a 5pm cut off, ( there certainly used to be with Nokia ) however certainly if I had Next Business Day SLA and there was an agreed RMA on a Monday I would expect to have a replacement unit at my premises by the end of the working day on Tuesday or the SLA is broken.

I concur with the others, what you experienced is entirely too long and next business day should be next business day. I have some Cisco gear on 4 hour SLA and they've had delivery companies drive the part from Savannah to Charleston to arrive at 2 AM. HP holds to very similar standards and has also delivered us parts well within the SLA.

SLA's are legal and binding contracts... You pay a premium to insure your company has prompt replacement parts so you can maintain a stable active environment and it's the vendor's responsibility to meet their end of the contractual obligation as long as you pay that premium. If I were a lawyer, I'd say sue for breach of contract but since I'm not, I'll say contact your local sales team and find out WTF.

What you've experienced is completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by lammbo; 2010-09-22 at 07:21.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There's basically only 2 service levels: NBD and 4 hour onsite. There is no "6 hour" plan.

The onsite boxes are stored within a certain radius of the customer, and an engineer will drive out to get it and then drive to customer site to install it.

The NBD has the system usually stored at a logical central depot location. One example might be Brussels for the EU, or Singapore for the some of the APAC area. The box is shipped out using a partner, UPS or whoever it is. It's shipped out via that vendor using their next business day service.

There is a cutoff at the shipping partner for being able to commit to actually delivering the next day. It's logical since we are talking about shipping internationally - travel time needs to be considered. So the cutoff might be something like 4-5pm. The vendor to ship also has an SLA with us.

The terms of the NBD contract state that CP is not responsible for clearance delays, which can happen to places like Brazil or India. We try to keep spare stock in mini depots in Brazil and perhaps also India to avoid this.

In the event that a 4 hour on site is missed due to missing parts, this is a serious problem that should be raised to CP management. More often they get missed when the engineer shows up with the part and no one lets him in the building (after hours). Give them your mobile number!!!

In the event that a NBD is missed, but it is due to missing cutoff or clearance delays, there's nothing to be done. If it's delayed because a TAC engineer did not promptly action the case, raise it with TAC management.

Generally I think the stats for the hardware services team are quite good in terms of meeting SLAs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pierre Lamy - Escalation Engineer Ottawa TAC
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the responses everyone, in particular plamy, thanks for the detailed explanation.

There's a couple of comments I'd like to make:
    Quote Originally Posted by plamy View Post
    There is no "6 hour" plan.
    This was agreed to with our CP sales team as the site is 2 hours drive from the nearest airport, it was a "4 hour" SLA with that extra travel time added.

Generally I think the stats for the hardware services team are quite good in terms of meeting SLAs.
    They've missed 3 out of 3 for us this calendar year, so yes we will be raising this through the appropriate channels.

Thanks again everyone!

m.