CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Symantec aquires PGP and Guardian Edge

Default Symantec aquires PGP and Guardian Edge

Is it true that "Symantec is where applications go to die"?

Today, two of the most trusted names in security - Symantec and PGP Corporation – announced that we will be joining forces to help customers like you secure and manage your most critical information. PGP Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Symantec and become part of Symantec’s Enterprise Security Group.

We believe that data is currency and data security has never been more important– consumers, private sector and public sector organizations alike are attempting to protect their most critical and private information while battling unscrupulous nation states, organized criminal syndicates and negligence. You have come to us to for our world-class encryption and security management, which has helped enable you to comply with the growing number of regulations, while still managing costs and growing your business.

We believe Symantec and PGP Corporation share a similar data protection vision. We know this from our long-standing partnership with Symantec and our many joint customers. The combination of PGP Corporation’s award-winning encryption, policy and key management, with Symantec’s data loss prevention, endpoint protection and systems management capabilities, will deliver an even stronger solution to you, to help you in your mission of securing and managing your most critical information.

Until the acquisition closes, PGP Corporation and Symantec will continue to operate as separate companies, developing and delivering products as usual. Our number one focus is satisfying our customers and we are fully committed to making the transition as smooth as possible.

Additionally, Symantec announced today that they will acquire GuardianEdge Technologies, Inc. GuardianEdge is an OEM partner of Symantec’s with a large public sector focus. The intention is to integrate key aspects of the GuardianEdge solutions and then manage them with the PGP® platform, as well as to provide an appropriate migration for both Symantec and GuardianEdge encryption customers.

To answer any questions you may have, we have created the following Web site: http://go.symantec.com/PGPGuardianEdge. This site is designed to serve as a helpful resource during the transition. In the coming months we will be focused on creating a combined roadmap, and will continue to communicate with you as the integration process is finalized.

All of us here at PGP Corporation remain committed to our core mission of protecting your data, in motion and at rest, whether the data is on your laptop, a thumb drive or in the cloud. As I reminded the PGP team when we met this morning, this is the same mission, we will approach it with the same passion, but now we get to take on a much bigger battle…and we’re anxious to get started.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about how this acquisition may affect you now and in the future, or if there is anything I can do to be of service to you and your business. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to establishing an even greater partnership moving forward.

Sincerely,

Phil Dunkelberger
    President and CEO, PGP Corporation
    Today Symantec announced its intention to acquire GuardianEdge, in an effort to extend the company’s ability to help organizations secure and manage their sensitive information. We believe that bringing GuardianEdge and Symantec together will provide our customers access to a broader set of integrated data protection solutions from one vendor. We believe this strategy will provide customers unrivaled encryption options, in a manner designed to protect existing investments.
    The acquisition is expected to close in June 2010, subject to customary closing conditions. Until the acquisition closes, GuardianEdge and Symantec will continue to operate as separate companies, developing products, selling and supporting our respective customers in an independent manner. GuardianEdge’s primary focus is satisfying our customers, and we are fully committed to making this transition as smooth and seamless as possible for you.
    More information on this announcement will shortly be available on our website at Enterprise Data Encryption and Endpoint Data Protection Software for Hard Drives, Removable Storage and Smartphones | GuardianEdge. During the coming months we will be focused on jointly setting a combined roadmap for future products and services, and you can expect to hear more from us as this is finalized.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me or your current GuardianEdge sales team if you have any questions about how this acquisition may affect you now or in the future. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to establishing an even stronger partnership moving forward.
    Best Regards,

Ralph Clark
    President and CEO
    GuardianEdge Technologies, Inc.
    Its all in the documentation.

Default Re: Symantec aquires PGP and Guardian Edge

I wonder why they chose to buy two companies with overlapping product lines.

Because melipla is correct. Count how many companies Symantec has borged then killed so they can have the market share etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber_chicken View Post
    Because melipla is correct. Count how many companies Symantec has borged then killed so they can have the market share etc.
    Nice STTNG reference in a good analogy! IMO Symantec stinks... They have taken many good products and systematically destroyed them over the years.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

^ sad I didn't think of verb-alizing "Borg"
    - boldin
    CISSP
    CCSE/R65

To be fair I can't take credit for verbalising it. My favourite IT news site is The Register

The Register: Sci/Tech News for the World

Pretty quick with news and written in a tongue in cheek style. Check out the BOHF while you're there. He is a kiwi too.....

Sorry, folks, the late, great Boardwatch magazine beat everyone to it in 1996. I present to you, BillGatus of Borg.

BillGatus of Borg

I'm a little concerned that you found that so quickly and easily :-)

I subscribed to Boardwatch back in those days. :)