CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

First, I hope you're all well and staying safe.
Second, I want to give a "heads up" that you should see more activity here shortly, and maybe a few cosmetic changes.
I'll post more details to the "Announcements" forum soon, so be on the lookout. -E

Thread: Even Experienced Check Point admins get 71%

Default Even Experienced Check Point admins get 71%

Yep, my peers can make fun of me all they want, there's no denying that I got a lame score on this exam today!

As bad as I am at passing these standardized tests, I'm quite good at actually CP engineering. One thing that I noticed is the sections where I performed poorly (according to the score report) aren't the areas where my knowledge gaps are. But, whatever...

Here's what I would look up if I were going to go back and take this test again tomorrow:
    • VTIs, of course.
    • License upgrade.
    • Office mode
    • AV direction - see help.
    • Did I mention VTIs?
    • Some theoretical mgt recovery procedure that I wasn't aware of.
    • Difference between SmartView Monitor and SmartView Tracker.
    • How to understand the ClusterXL setup through cprob stat output.
    • sysconfig vs cpconfig.
    • ClusterXL modes.
    • Port scans.
    • Do the worm catcher lab or practice implementing the worm catcher if you don't have the courseware.

The one question on which I was least positive was the contract file question. If you read page 31 in the courseware, you'll be able to confirm that the file gets downloaded from the UC to the SMS and then downloaded from there to the gateway during the upgrade. The text used in the answers on the test are either both insufficient or both acceptable. This means that you have a 50/50 chance of guessing which answer they want to have.

You can say I'm making excuses if you want, but sometimes I feel like my knowledge of Check Point hurts me on these exams. Anyone else have this experience?

Now on to the CCSE Plus - finally. I've been meaning to get the plus for a couple years now. (HINT: If you don't like my rambling posts, please avoid the CCSE Plus on R65 Thread. :-)

Default Re: Even Experienced Check Point admins get 71%

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGraham View Post
    You can say I'm making excuses if you want, but sometimes I feel like my knowledge of Check Point hurts me on these exams. Anyone else have this experience?
    Yep, when I did my CCSA, I only scored just over 70% (can't remember exact score). Oddly enough, like you, the sections CP indicated I was weak in are the posts on this forum that I can usually answer for someone else. Go figure...

I hate standardized tests and CP's even more so due to bad Engrish. I wish there was a hands-on test where they give you a lab to build/fix and prove your knowledge.

I still have to schedule and take my CCSE. I'm dreading it.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Snap, i just took the exam today and passed with 71%. Also after 6 years experience (dont work for a reseller so dont get the exposure to lots of different environments, just what we use) We use nokia vrrp so clusterxl is not something i have any experience with (we missed it on the course because the instructor ran out of time). Also struggled with vti as well.
    Got 85 and 82% on the ngair55 ccsa and ccse. Does this mean i am getting worse?

This is an interesting thread, I scored exactly the same on the CCSA R70 and CCSE R70 exams - 82%. I've been working with Firewall-1 as a consultant since 1997 and currently teach the official CCSA R70 and CCSE R70 classes at a Check Point Authorized Training Center.

When reading the test questions, my many years of experience actually work against me since the first thing that pops into my mind is: "Well the correct answer depends on..." and I end up overthinking the question. I tell my students to avoid doing that and to frame any seemingly vague questions in the context of the class lecture content and lab exercises rather than their own personal experience which seems to help.