CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: R70 "Free Upgrade" Check Point Promo Discussion

Default R70 "Free Upgrade" Check Point Promo Discussion

Got this marketing email yesterday from CP and, I know the webinar is still a couple of days ago but what do you think of this?

Customers can receive Software Blades products with equivalent functionality to their old products free of charge. "
    Does this mean that someone on a R65 with a valid SD subscription could move to SG203 (FW/VPN/IPS) for free?

Or is this wishful thinking

Discuss :)

Default Re: R70 "Free Upgrade" Check Point Promo Discussion

All I know is that when this customer tried, it was not going to be free of charge. So we're staying on the NGX pricelist for now.

Quote Originally Posted by northlandboy View Post
    All I know is that when this customer tried, it was not going to be free of charge. So we're staying on the NGX pricelist for now.
    This is a new initiative...

Replacing the current 100% tradein offer? Hmmm, you're on better email lists than me...

Quote Originally Posted by hotice_ View Post
    Got this marketing email yesterday from CP and, I know the webinar is still a couple of days ago but what do you think of this?

Does this mean that someone on a R65 with a valid SD subscription could move to SG203 (FW/VPN/IPS) for free?

Or is this wishful thinking

Discuss :)
    Can you post the full text of the e-mail here?
    Barry J. Stiefel ("Stee-ful" or "Shtee-ful")
    B.S., MBA, CCSA/CCSE/CCSE+/CCSI
    Resilience RCSE/RCSI, Fortinet FCSE
    CISSP, MCSE, NSA ISM
    Founder of CPUG
    Founder of CPUG University

While talking with my VAR, they mentioned as well that a free upgrade to blades of equivalent functionality was in the works. I did not receive an email from CP though.

Check Point Software Blades Migration Promotion

Check Point offers customers a smooth transition to Software Blades architecture—the most advanced security infrastructure

This promotion provides Check Point customers with two attractive migration alternatives when they move from their existing products to the new Software Blades architecture:
    • Customers can receive Software Blades products with equivalent functionality to their old products free of charge.
    • Customers can upgrade to the full features of the Software Blades architecture for 20% or less of the cost of their original Check Point products.

To learn more, please join the up-coming webcast.
    Questions or comments? Please contact Partner Alliance.

There's a webinar on Thursday on this.

NOTE: Just checked, this was sent to CSP...probably why some didn't get this

Yes this is a new program available as of yesterday. In addition to the NGX->Equivalent blade license, there are some VERY aggressive functionality upgrade options (to encourage you to spend $$).

One example:

Customer has:
    Firewall-1 Module for up to 25 Users
    CPFW-FM-25-NG
    Product original cost: $2080

Free "upgrade" to:
    Security Gateway including container for 1 core for up to 50 users
    CPSG-C101

Special upgrade to:
    Security Gateway pre-defined system including container for 1 core and 3 blades
    CPSG-P103

Cost is 20% of the existing CPFW-FM-25-NG (2080*.2): $416

Jim,

What about for example, Firewall-1 Module for 100 users + Valid SmartD subscription

Would it be free to upgrade to a SG203, i.e. FW+VPN+IPS blades?

The devil for this will always be in the details - the bit that I believe will kill this stone dead is, once again, multicore licensing. Let's say you have, like the thousands of customers that bought their licenses before 2008, an unlimited user license without multicore functionality. What is your "equivalent" blade license?

If they've solved this, then this program might turn out to be useful. About bloody time - after 10 months of hyperbole and nonsense about how revolutionary and unique this whole thing is, AND alienating the existing customer base, it might actually turn into something that can be used. The main question remaining is whether people still care or have the patience to work this nonsense out once again. I'm cautiously optimistic, but having been screwed by the details of everything related to Software Blades, I'll reserve judgment until later this week.

Without having seen the internal emails--I'm on vacation right now--this sounds like a step in the right direction. I'll keep an ear out for any feedback, though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by chillyjim View Post
    Yes this is a new program available as of yesterday. In addition to the NGX->Equivalent blade license, there are some VERY aggressive functionality upgrade options (to encourage you to spend $$).

One example:

Customer has:
    Firewall-1 Module for up to 25 Users
    CPFW-FM-25-NG

Free "upgrade" to:
    CPSG-C101

Special upgrade to:
    Security Gateway pre-defined system including container for 1 core and 3 blades
    CPSG-P103

Cost is 20% of the existing CPFW-FM-25-NG (2080*.2): $416
    You have provide us with wrong example:

Real one :

Customer has:
    Firewall-1 Module for up to 25 Users on Open Server with 4 cores CPU.
    CPFW-FM-25-NG

Free "upgrade" to:
    CPSG-C101 will be never equal ...
    plus additional MC-2 for $2,500 or MC-4 for $5,000

or customer should make an funk upgrade to :
    Check Point Security Gateway Container for Security Gateways with 4 cores and unlimited users CPSG-C401 I $12,500

just $ 10,000 more to just protect 25 affected IPs (not users - just servers) - and it will be also free...:(
    Sorry , but I not awaiting from CP flexibility to its license scheme...
    Last edited by serlud; 2009-11-18 at 05:20.

Quote Originally Posted by serlud View Post
    You have provide us with wrong example:

Real one :

Customer has:
    Firewall-1 Module for up to 25 Users on Open Server with 4 cores CPU.
    CPFW-FM-25-NG
    To be fair to CP, the last set of changes sorted this one out - you are no longer required to license based on number of cores on the system, just on the cores that you need. The difference in this change (if I read Jim's email correctly) is that instead of having to pay for the 50-user blades license throgh a functionality upgrade, this will now be done as a $0 transaction to the new license. Let's not judge until we see it - get all your test cases ready though, so we can find out what fits and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpuse View Post
    To be fair to CP, the last set of changes sorted this one out - you are no longer required to license based on number of cores on the system, just on the cores that you need. The difference in this change (if I read Jim's email correctly) is that instead of having to pay for the 50-user blades license throgh a functionality upgrade, this will now be done as a $0 transaction to the new license. Let's not judge until we see it - get all your test cases ready though, so we can find out what fits and what doesn't.
    QFT.

I'll be beating the hell out of the new calculator tool to determine what's free and what's not. Nonetheless, this does look interesting.

Of course, the WORST thing about this is I'll have to sit my CCLE test again.... Just because I won it in a cereal packet, shouldn't mean that it expires by the time I've finished eating the cereal!

Quote Originally Posted by hotice_ View Post
    Jim,

What about for example, Firewall-1 Module for 100 users + Valid SmartD subscription

Would it be free to upgrade to a SG203, i.e. FW+VPN+IPS blades?
    I cannot find the upgrade quote tool yet, but if I read slides right, no you would get FW+IPS blade for 100 users for free and for 20% of the cost of the FW module you would get the FW-VPN-IPS.

Yes I know this doesn't exist on the price list, so yes the number of SKUs are going to explode. Everyone ready for the 2GB cpmacro file ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpuse View Post
    get all your test cases ready though, so we can find out what fits and what doesn't.
    If I understand it correctly we will need cert keys to plug into the calculator not just SKUs. Have you reseller or account team run them for you if possible. If not you can PM me the CKs and I'll run them as I can.

Possitive: (Thanks Ofer to answer an question (even indirect): How can we make functional upgrade for all of those FW with out additional cost? )
    No new investment for new CP Software Blades Lics.
    In our case :
    $986,127 for Multi Core LICs only
    $341,086 for Functional update Lics only

Negative:
    1. Software support rate will grow up for at least 30% :((
    We will have an equal product , but we will not have an equal product prices any more.
    Just other way make about 30% of profit for CP... shade...
    2. Still no flexibility to its license scheme ( we have already lost 10 customers only because of that...)
    No product with equal price as before CP Software Blades - CP answer : We saw no business justification to add a SG101U product to our pricelist. If you have a specific need for a low-end yet unlimited gateway, I suggest you work with your Check Point account manager and he/she can assist you in a special NSP route where you would get a specific tailored solution to fit your needs.
    Compare:
    CPFW-FM-U-NG FireWall-1 Module for an unlimited number of IP addresses for $7.280
    with SG401 for $12,500

CPFW-FM-250-NG FireWall-1 Module for 250 IP addresses $6.240
    SG201 $6.500

CPMP-VPG-25-NG VPN-1 Pro Gateways for 25 users $3.120
    CPSG-P103 ( not equal but ) $4,000

CPMP-VPG-U-NG $10.920
    CPSG-P203-U $14.000
    and so on...

3. I hope CPFW-FM-U-NG will not be *equal* to SG101U-F special , can not check write now. :))

PS: SG203U: is a cost effective Security Gateway platform with three Software Blades utilizing two cores for an unlimited number of users. The three blades include a Firewall, IPSec VPN and IPS >> Now CP can simple make Unlim Lic = to SG20xU.... - good marketings tricks, congratulation with implementing of MC lics...
    Last edited by serlud; 2009-11-19 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by serlud View Post
    Software support rate will grow for as for about 30% :((
    We will have an equal product , but we not have an equal product price any more...
    Just other way to force customer to pay for MC lics...
    It's inevitible in a situation like this, some cases will work out better, some worse. Even with your support rate moving, your upgrade cost will be *significantly* cheaper, so it's not really that bad....

Honestly, I think CP have put a pretty good compromise offer on the table with this. Seeing as we're now being forced into the Software Blades revolution, at least the pill is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The fact that a $0 upgrade path is now available without loss of functionality is welcome. It's just a pity it took them this long to do it, and I dread to think about how many SKUs we're going to have to digest after it.

More will become clear once the calculator is out. But the first impression looks promising. Multi-core licensing is still dodgy in principle, and the link between cores and users is still there, but at least the MC upgrade tax will be less. I still don't see this in any way being simpler or more flexible that the previous licensing system, and generally question the need for this change, but at least some of the worst inequities are starting to get sorted out. Now if only this had happened 9 months ago....

Quote Originally Posted by chillyjim View Post
    I cannot find the upgrade quote tool yet, but if I read slides right, no you would get FW+IPS blade for 100 users for free and for 20% of the cost of the FW module you would get the FW-VPN-IPS.

Yes I know this doesn't exist on the price list, so yes the number of SKUs are going to explode. Everyone ready for the 2GB cpmacro file ;)
    So CP is considering that VPN is NOT an existing functionality in the current R65 license ?!

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast