CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: R70 "Free Upgrade" Check Point Promo Discussion

Default Re: R70 "Free Upgrade" Check Point Promo Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpuse View Post
    Bring back the per-site model. Attach blades to Cluster Containers. We all win. This would be simple, fliexible and secure. And cost-effective!
    Agree , but not force to buy ACCL for HA mode. You already got 80% of GW price an the same support rate for every HA Standby FW module - for SYNC and switching funchtions.
    Last edited by serlud; 2010-02-02 at 06:38.

Quote Originally Posted by serlud View Post
    Agree , but not force to buy ACCL for HA mode. You already got 80% of GW price an the same support rate for every HA Standby FW module - for SYNC and switching funchtions.
    Ummm... you don't need to buy the Clustering and Acceleration blade as it is today for Active/Standby HA. What you do have to buy is a blade for every gateway in your cluster, and for all gateways to be the same container size and have all the same blades on it. So let's say you want IPS or some other feature. At the moment, that's buying N additional blades (N being the number of blades in your cluster). That's N additional licenses to manage and keep even. As opposed to one blade which attaches to a Cluster, and covers all Cluster Members. I ask you, which one is simpler and more flexible?

Ummm... you don't need to buy the Clustering and Acceleration blade as it is today for Active/Standby HA. What you do have to buy is a blade for every gateway in your cluster, and for all gateways to be the same container size and have all the same blades on it. So let's say you want IPS or some other feature. At the moment, that's buying N additional blades (N being the number of blades in your cluster). That's N additional licenses to manage and keep even. As opposed to one blade which attaches to a Cluster, and covers all Cluster Members. I ask you, which one is simpler and more flexible?
    I hope this one will be enough:
    As opposed to one blade which attaches to a Cluster, and covers all Cluster Members.

Hi there,

Apologies for the slight thread hijacking but I thought it is still relevant...

We're currently having an issue with converting some (very) old lincenses to blade licensing. We have raised it with our reseller in Decemeber and keep prodding them but they are saying Checkpoint aren't coming back to them! I wondered if anyone here had any advice, if we convert the following licenses in the spreadsheet, we get

CPFW-ENC-1-NG CK-XXXXXXXXXXXX converts to:
    CPSB-VPN VPN Blade

CPFW-EPC-U CK-YYYYYYYYYYYY converts to:
    CPSG-P201U-CPSM-PU003-F-EPC Check Point Security bundle - including SG201U and SMU003 (FireWall, Network Policy Management, Endpoint Policy Management, Logging and Status)

CPVP-VFM-U-NG CK-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ converts to:
    CPSG-P203U-F-VFM Security Gateway pre-defined system including container for 2 core and 3 blades (FireWall, VPN and Advanced Networking)

But, on the current firewalls with existing NGX licensing we have:

[Expert@fw-module01]# cplic print
    Host Expiration Features
    x.x.x.10 never CPFW-ENC-U-NGX CK-XXXXXXXXXXXX
    x.x.x.10 never CPFW-EPC-U-MODULE-NGX CPMP-PPK-1-NGX FW1:6.0:MC_ALL_2 FW1:6.0:MULTICORE CK-YYYYYYYYYYYY

[Expert@fw-module02]# cplic print
    Host Expiration Features
    x.x.x.10 never CPVP-VFM-U-3DES-NGX CPVP-VPS-1-NGX CPMP-PPK-1-NGX FW1:6.0:MC_ALL_2 FW1:6.0:MULTICORE CK-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[Expert@ifw-mgmt]# cplic print
    Host Expiration Features
    x.x.x.10 never CPVP-VEE-U-3DES-MGMT-NGX CPMP-DBVR-U-NGX CK-YYYYYYYYYYYY
    x.x.x.10 never CPFW-ENC-U-MGMT-NGX CK-XXXXXXXXXXXX

So from what I understand this means we are losing Performance Pack which is a bad thing for this particular firewall as it forwards high data rates. Also would the CPSG-P201U-CPSM-PU003-F-EPC, CPSB-VPN and CPSG-P203U-F-VFM allow us to run it as a cluster? I know the existing licenses are both primary licenses rather than one active and one HA but these licenses seem to have been sat in one of our UC accounts for a very long time :)

Any advice is appreciated!

John

has anybody noticed with the last "free conversion" document that CPMP-WIT now has the "free conversion" to a blade combo that includes IPS?

CPMP-WIT-U -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500
    CPMP-WIT-10 -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500
    CPMP-WIT-3 -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500

Of concern here is where my gateway already has the IPS blade. Are customers going to get "double-dipped" on purchasing IPS where WIT is added on to a gateway? Anybody run into this one yet? Haven't spoken with my friendly neighborhood advocacy rep yet, but just throwing this out there...

I suspect this an error in the upgrade tool. I'll pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBrz View Post
    has anybody noticed with the last "free conversion" document that CPMP-WIT now has the "free conversion" to a blade combo that includes IPS?

CPMP-WIT-U -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500
    CPMP-WIT-10 -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500
    CPMP-WIT-3 -> CPSB-WS + CPSB-IPS $4500

Of concern here is where my gateway already has the IPS blade. Are customers going to get "double-dipped" on purchasing IPS where WIT is added on to a gateway? Anybody run into this one yet? Haven't spoken with my friendly neighborhood advocacy rep yet, but just throwing this out there...
    Proof that Blades aren't truly independent - WIT blade REQUIRES the IPS blade. Yet another way that CP has missed its own goals with the blade licensing scheme.

Proof that Blades aren't truly independent - WIT blade REQUIRES the IPS blade. Yet another way that CP has missed its own goals with the blade licensing scheme.

True enough, although WIT always did require SD. I have a case open on this one, to get clarification. My guess is that somebody figured this was the best way to ensure WS users bought an IPS blade, not considering the unintended consequence of the gateway already having an IPS blade. On the one hand, it may amount to a "free" IPS blade for a year, but ongoing support seems to get keyed off of the new combined $4,500 SKU price, instead of $1,500. Maybe not a ton of $, but it's that principle thing again. We'll see what I find out.

True enough, although WIT always did require SD. I have a case open on this one, to get clarification. My guess is that somebody figured this was the best way to ensure WS users bought an IPS blade, not considering the unintended consequence of the gateway already having an IPS blade. On the one hand, it may amount to a "free" IPS blade for a year, but ongoing support seems to get keyed off of the new combined $4,500 SKU price, instead of $1,500. Maybe not a ton of $, but it's that principle thing again. We'll see what I find out.
    My point exactly. I called this out 12 months ago - the same dilemma will exist around Mail Security. CP has refused to confirm this for a whole year, but I guess I was right.....

Let's figure out what the real story is on GlennBrz's situation before anyone jumps to incorrect conclusions. I'm asking about it, and it sounds like he's asking through the correct channels.
    Last edited by PhoneBoy; 2010-02-02 at 21:21.

Quote Originally Posted by zach@checkpoint.com View Post
    we added the "are you sure?" confirmation step today.
    ALL CP customers also need to see a Software Prices /Support Rates before and after migration to CP Revolutions Software Blade Architecture and also see which SKU (or functions) will not work anymore. - it will help all CP customer to make right decision:
    Do I really want to push a SURE button?

Please add:
    2 step with Software Prices /Support Rates before and after CP Revolutions Software Blade information
    3 step with infromation which SKU (or functions) will not work anymore.
    4 step : "are you sure?" botton.

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    I think the whole point here is that Check Point don't understand their customers
    a) needs
    b) current deployments, and
    c) frustrations

I don't know of any customers that were asked to provide feedback into the blade licensing before it was unleashed on us, does anyone else?

Want to make blade licensing compelling for me? allow me to have firewall license without IPSec, and while you're at it, SmartDefense sucks and we've never used it so I don't want to pay for it either. Can I get a refund on my IPSec VPN & SmartDefense functionality that I've been paying for the last 7 years?
    You have make a revolution , but still do not know How to impliment it.
    We can provide you with very simple sollution HOW TO migrate to Software Blade to archive a goals (This sollution is absolute FREE OF CHARGE) : Check Point Software Blades deliver lower cost of ownership and cost-efficient protection that meet any network security need, today and in the future & provides you with the unique ability to configure and extend your security solution from a library of over 20 Software Blades in a truly flexible, simple and cost effective manner :
    1. 100% FULL TradeIN for previos product (we can also ask about 120% TradeIn, if CP agree it will be great for all customers)-A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time.
    2. ADD Unlimiter LICs: SG801U -$18000 (+144%) SG401U -$12500 (+130%) SG201U -$9615 (+115%) SG101U -$8361 (we also would like to see all spectrum of CPU support SG1,SG2,SG3,SG4,SG5,SG6,SG7...SG24- we hope you can calculate rigth price for those lics, if not we can help you)
    3. ADD Cluster HA&LS Container for 2/3/4/..8 Cluster members (SG8XXU-HA, SG8XXU-HA2,SG8XXU-HA3..and SG8XXU-LS, SG8XXU-LS2,SG8XXU-LS3,SG8XXU-LS7 > SG8XXU-LS2=SG801U-HA2 + 2ACCL..): 2 Cluster members - SG8XXU-HA -$14400 (+144%) SG4XXU-HA -$10000 (+130%) SG2XXU-HA -$7692 (+115%) SG1XXU-HA -$6688 (Cluster HA container for 3/4/..8 Cluster members should have a BIG price reduction let say 3 memebers SG8XXU-HA2 85% of SG801U and for 8 Cluster memebers SG8XXU-HA7 100% of SG801U) with possibility to run any Blade without additional Lic IPS-HA or AV-HA blade for HA mode. Count Cluster HA Container and LS Cluster as one Gateway on management site. (HA - provide only HA and LS provide only more througput (if both Cluster member up and runnig) on the same place (Site or Gateway )but not ather function for Management..)
    4. Replace all HA lic for LoadSharing with IPS-LS,AV-LS.....- CPHA is not the same as CPLS, it is wrong name convention for LS.(it will be much simple to have LS in one place in ACCL or IPS-LS .., but both ACCL and IPS-LS will make it more complex..)
    5. Do not provide any *F* lics
    6. Make only Unlimited Lics. (no 100, or 500 users Lic any more...)
    7. Make all Blades movable -IT IS Flexibility and simplify moving neccessary Blades from on Cluster or Gateway to another.(not moviable (NO flexibility -bad variant) Create SG101U, SG102U (FW,VPN), SG103U(FW,VPN,ACCL),SG105U(FW,VPN,IPS,ACCL,ADN),SG 108U(FW,VPN,IPS,ACCL,ADN,AV,URFL,ASPM) ... with attractive price.)
    8. Recreate managements Blade (SMU000&SM2500&SM1000 - useless and will be never used by all kind of customer) SM1000 - should already have 3 blades: Network Policy Management, Endpoint Policy Management, Logging & Status. -This is a very basic func. push policy , see results (log), see status..
    9. NOW make a limit for Blades (let say it will be maximum 20 Blades forever../ do not increase this value to 10000..)
    10. Provide possiblity to TradeIn (100%) to move any SG4xx to SG1XX /or SG1xx to SG2xx SG3 SG4 online
    11. Do not miss much CP goals:
    FIRST with Software Blade Revolution CP have to chardge 5-10%(minimum) more for Software Subscription for every customer, because it is common in Software business to charge more with every LICs update and it can not be perfect for all customer.
    SECOND With Software Blade Revolution CP would like to increase sales for UTM-1 /Power-1 Appliances to 10000%.
    Your goals are already clear defined and writen : Check Point Software Blades deliver lower cost of ownership and cost-efficient protection that meet any network security need, today and in the future & provides you with the unique ability to configure and extend your security solution from a library of over 20 Software Blades in a truly flexible, simple and cost effective manner

We hope that CP known how to calculate an SG101U and SG201U - it is very simple:
    SG801U -$18000 (+144%) SG401U -$12500 (+130%) SG201U -$9615 (+115%) SG101U -$8361 /Please take a attention that SG101U(FW) will have less SKUs than CPFW-FM-U
    SG101U should be A Cost-effective security platform for mid-size companies and offices utilizing 1 cores, unlimited users and recommended up to 8 ports. BUT NOT SG203U
    This price will be conform with
    CPPWR-VPG-U $12500 ~ $12861: SG101U -$8361 +ADN $ 1500+VPN $1500+ACCL $1500 != $15000 CPSG-P204U-F SG201U -$9615 +ADN $ 1500+VPN $1500+ACCL $1500
    CPFW-FM-U-HA-NG (primary and secondary GW) $10915 ~ $15041 SG101U +SG101U-HA (1.8*$8361) we can accept this Price 150%
    CPFW-FM-U $7820 ~ SG101U -$8361 != CPSG-C201U-F $8000
    CPUTM-VUG-U2 $13000 ~ $12000 SG201U-$9615+VPN $1500

No customer has been ask about feedback for this new revolutionary licensing model.
    >>> Why ? You will probable get this answer> We see no business needs to ask customer about our *patented* Revoulitions ...

We will check an CP Rep. flexibility at Lic-Workshop at 16.02.2010 (All questions bellow has been send today 08.02.2010, we will provide you with the results later) :

1. We are not using VPN func. on 95% of our FW systems.
    We would like to remove this VPN Blade during our migration to CP Software Blade model with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates reduction.
    (Can I get a refund on my IPSec VPN & SmartDefense functionality that I've been paying for the last 7 years?
    Good quesion but you will get following answer: this future was every time free of charge....)

2. We are not using an CP PPK (SecureXL) on 99% of our FW systems.We are not using an ClusterXL (LOAD SHARING) at all on all 100% of our FW systems.
    We would like to remove this ACCL Blade but also have CPHA on all our Clusters HA Mode during our migration to CP Software Blade model with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates reduction.

Please read SK sk30849:
    Solution
    The ClusterXL for Load Sharing Add-on license provides load sharing for Check Point gateways.
    NGX and NG with Application Intelligence R55
    The ClusterXL for Load Sharing Add-on product generates one license. This license is assigned to the SmartCenter server station. Licensed per cluster.
    As of NG with Application Intelligence R55, all management licenses now include High Availability.
    ClusterXL for Load Sharing Add-on is not supported on NG with Application Intelligence R54 or below.

3. We are not using 2 Core CPU on more than 50% of our FWs.
    We would like remove 2Core CPU funk. during our migration to CP Software Blade model with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates reduction.

4 We are using 4&8 Cores CPU on several of our FWs systems.
    We would like to get this 4&8Core Support during our migration to CP Software Blade model with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates increasing.

5. We are not using ADN on 99.99% of our FWs.
    We would like remove ADN funk. during our migration to CP Software Blade model with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates reduction.

6. To simplifying we also preffer to get an *F* Lics for all our Blade already payed (SG101U-F , VPN-F ) with appropriated Software Prices&Support Rates.

7. We also awaiting that Radius Authentification on all our FWs is now not included in SecPlat Pro Lics (we do not need any ADN in this case) and would like to transfer payed SecPlat Pro lic in next Subscriptions rates..

8. We also would like to see prove of CP Revolution concept.(till now we can see only disadvantage for all our Customers and we hope that CP can provide as with FACTs that Software Blade will bring us an following advantages:
    Check Point Software Blade Architecture provides you with the unique ability to configure and extend your security solution from a library of over 20 Software Blades in a truly flexible, simple and cost effective manner.)

Well, due to CP new revolutionary licensing model we preffere reduction (or taking only minimal ammout ouf Blades...)of Software Prices&Support Rates.
    We also can not used an CP upgraded free of charge " Equivalent Functionality" or " Enhanced Functionality" - both of them are not conform with our business needs..
    We would like to get "Unenhanced Functionality" with appropriated Software Price/Support Rates reduction and refunds for not used functionality, we hope that will provide us with $0 Support Rates for next 10 Years.

CP has implemented an " Enhanced Functionality" calculator we would like to see the same calculator result for "Unenhanced Functionality" (but with - minus) One our customer with about $1.200.000 Product Price would like to see the same values for "Unenhanced Functionality", It is time to pay only for your needs, many thanks for CP for providing this possiblity with CP Software Blade model:
    " Enhanced Functionality" Total: $236,409 Support Upgrade Cost: $29,402 Total Upgrade Cost: $265,811 ???Still missing Support Rate before and after???
    Please impliment an "Unenhanced Functionality" calculator as soon as possible: all our customers a waiting for this...
    "Unenhanced Functionality" Total: -$236,409 Support Upgrade Cost: -$29,402 Total Upgrade Cost: -$265,811
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
    Migrate to the Check Point Software Blades Architecture

Upgrade Now In 3 Simple Steps:

Step 1 - Upgrade and License - choose one of the three compelling migration options: ONE MIGRATION OPTION IS STILL MISSING
    *Discharge your security solution with unenhanced Software Blades at a very attractive price!
    You will receive a quote for the unenhanced functionality.
    -OR-

* Upgrade your current security solution to Software Blades free of charge!
    At the end of the upgrade process you will receive the new software blades licenses.
    The current licenses will be kept.
    - OR -
    * Supercharge your security solution with enhanced Software Blades at a very attractive price!
    You will receive a quote for the enhanced functionality.

Step 2 - Deploy the Licenses.
    Last edited by serlud; 2010-02-15 at 03:33.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneBoy View Post
    Let's figure out what the real story is on GlennBrz's situation before anyone jumps to incorrect conclusions. I'm asking about it, and it sounds like he's asking through the correct channels.
    OK, had another chat with account services today on the matter. per AS:
    when you do the free conversion to the NGX WIT license, you get two resulting sku's. 1 is the WS blade ($1500 value) and the other is the IPS service blade ($3,000 value). Since I have a SG405, that already includes a year of IPS, then the IPS that comes along for the ride with the free conversion to WS can be added to the end of the contract of the IPS blade associated with the SG405. This comes as surprisingly good news. The ongoing support calculations are based only on the WS portion of the resulting SKU ($1500) - not the entire one ($4500). The purpose of the ticket was to predict how support will operate when you have 2 resulting IPS blades for the same gateway, and how support will be calculated, prior to actually doing the "free" upgrade. BTW, I am leading a talk on licensing at CPUG on Tour, sharing stuff like this and other examples I've had to figure out the hard way, just remember - DSTM!

Still, this does confirm that "Blade Independence" is a myth here, and that the Web Security blade has a 100% dependency on the IPS blade. Considering this, CP really should just kill the Web Security blade - it's a pointless checkbox-enabler that only allows you to control protections provided in the IPS blade. AFAIK it doesn't enable a single new protection, just allows you to control the scope of application of Web protections in the IPS blade.

OK, had another chat with account services today on the matter. per AS:
    when you do the free conversion to the NGX WIT license, you get two resulting sku's. 1 is the WS blade ($1500 value) and the other is the IPS service blade ($3,000 value). Since I have a SG405, that already includes a year of IPS, then the IPS that comes along for the ride with the free conversion to WS can be added to the end of the contract of the IPS blade associated with the SG405. This comes as surprisingly good news. The ongoing support calculations are based only on the WS portion of the resulting SKU ($1500) - not the entire one ($4500).
    That's good to hear it was resolved the right way.

And yes, I can see Thorpuse's complaints that "this isn't independent of the IPS blade." I should ask about that.

That's good to hear it was resolved the right way.

And yes, I can see Thorpuse's complaints that "this isn't independent of the IPS blade." I should ask about that.
    WI was always dependent on SmartDefense. The interesting question here is what happens to WI if you let your IPS subscription expire?

Quote Originally Posted by chillyjim View Post
    WI was always dependent on SmartDefense. The interesting question here is what happens to WI if you let your IPS subscription expire?
    It will not work any more (if you will not hack CP software - it is very simple ..:).
    According CP Lic information:
    The Web Security Blade requires the IPS Blade to be deployed on the same Security Gateway, in order to operate.
    Just compare NGX WI + SD ~ $2000 in one year for one HA Cluster, and Best of case Rev. CP Soft_Blade: WI + IPS *1.8 ~$8100 in one year //a truly flexible, simple and cost effective manner & you can also compare a SS cost ~it will be about 6-10% and not perfect for average customer....(sorry about 60%)

We will also ask about this and others.. our ofiicial CP REP:

As we know your have make a perfect works to protect all kind of Microsoft Product.(it is about 70% of all protections).
    Unfortunately we should ask you to add an additional MS (Microsoft Security Blade) to protect only Microsoft Product. It will make an IPS Blade cheaper (for about 70%) and also give us a possibility to use IPS Blade for some of our Customers. (they do not have any Microsoft Products in DMZ).
    Do you plan to make Security Blades for every product or protocol?
    For some reason or another we still can not find some new Blades (IPS, URL Filtering Blade…) in SmartView Monitor.
    When you will impliment a basic monitoring functions and statistics for all new Blade? ..
    Last edited by serlud; 2010-02-09 at 14:27.

User Center Upgrade tool has been upgraded.

You now have the option of viewing the Enhanced Functionality upgrade along with cost figures including support

Quote Originally Posted by hotice_ View Post
    User Center Upgrade tool has been upgraded.

You now have the option of viewing the Enhanced Functionality upgrade along with cost figures including support
    Two questions: 1) What happens when I select enhanced upgrades, then click on the "Upgrade & License Button"? Do I get a quote, or do the licenses automatically get upgraded? I'd try it, but after getting burned on the "Get Free Blades" button and having my licenses automatically convert, I'm a little gun shy

2) If I select free upgrade across all licenses, the support increase always shows as $0, even though the licenses being upgraded to are worth more than the previous license. Is that a glitch?

Overall, this seems to be a much cleaner upgrade tool that the previous laborious tasks of filling in those damn spreadsheets!

The short-term support cost should not increase, but at the next renewal cycle, it will obviously increase. Perhaps that is what is meant here? Looking into it.

The short-term support cost should not increase, but at the next renewal cycle, it will obviously increase. Perhaps that is what is meant here? Looking into it.
    Well, with history as our guide, any license change that resulted in a more expensive license (ie, any Functionality Upgrade ever) had to have incremental support costs factored in for the remainder of the term or risk the dreaded sync fee penalty. I don't see any difference in these upgrades as far as incremental support would be concerned, I'm still betting CP "fixes the glitch"

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast