CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it again! He has just released the 2nd edition of "Max Power".
Rather than get into details here, I urge you to check out this announcement post.
It's a massive upgrade, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Security Management Platforms?

Default Security Management Platforms?

Tufin, Check Point, Secure Passage Firemon ...?

What do you use - what's the background of your system (firewalls, consoles, etc) - what works well, what doesn't?

Thanks,

PC

Default Re: Security Management Platforms?

It depends on you how you want to use the product, some products have webconsole and some have there own console, checkpoint is good product you can using it with evaluation licence.

Yeah - we have about 125 firewalls, 4 consoles from R60-R70. About 150 policies! Some are 50 rules, some are 100's of rules.

The firewall system has grown so fast - it's become unmanageable. Nodes, policies, etc. are a mismash of naming conventions, or none. We have no tools to tell us what nodes aren't used, what rules are hit the most, or not at all.

We are re-evaluating our whole lifecycle - from userss submitting requests to review and approval, implementation, auditing, removal. It's all messed up - and sitting around, a lot of our pain points are surely addressed with some tools - and lo and behold - there are tools that can do reporting, auditing, etc.

But which tools to get?

As I stated in a previous thread, Tufin's SecureTrack would help you a LOT in that environment. Not sure what region you're in, but PM me and I'll see if I can find the appropriate SE or Sales Rep in your region.

I'd also echo the comment about P-1 - I think splitting your management with that many firewalls makes a lot of sense. All of this would of course be contigent on budget, but I think some small changes could supply you with big rewards.

Yes, talk to Tufin and please talk to your SE (If you don't have a direct CHKP contact please PM me).

One question, 125 firewalls and 150 policies?

Quote Originally Posted by chillyjim View Post
    One question, 125 firewalls and 150 policies?
    I'm guesstimating - however, there are old policies no longer in use, old firewall nodes no longer in use, etc.

We need some kind of tool to give us confidence as to what rules are hit, what aren't, where rules could be consolidated, what nodes are unused, etc.

Thanks,

PC

Sounds like a combination of Tufin and Eventia Reporter would be good for you.