CPUG: The Check Point User Group

Resources for the Check Point Community, by the Check Point Community.

Tim Hall has done it yet again - That's right, the 3rd edition is here!
You can read his announcement post here.
It's a massive upgrade focusing on current versions, and well worth checking out. -E

Thread: Tips for successful Confwiz import

Default Tips for successful Confwiz import

1. Create the file in Notepad or similar regular text editor.

2. Double, triple check the syntax.

3. Make sure you have NO leading or trailing spaces. NO leading or trailing empty lines.

4. ONE command per line only! To change multiple attributes you need multiple lines, followed by an update command.

5. FTP the text file to the firewall.

6. If you are using SPLAT, you MUST use a utility called dos2unix, that will convert the file properly. This is the only way I found it to work, even if I tried using TextPad or similar to save in "Unix" format. Syntax is "dos2unix filename.txt"

7. Check your file with VI, there should be NO special characters now that it's properly formatted.

7. Use dbedit to import the file and cross your fingers.

If you see lines of output that look like syntax, you have a problem. Look for leading/trailing spaces or lines. Make sure you have the file formatted properly with VI. Make sure you have the syntax right.

It's a little picky, but INVALUABLE. Personally I used it to convert ASA to checkpoint. I was interested in network objects and NAT's only, and was able to save myself a boatload of time.

Default Re: Tips for successful Confwiz import

Hi Ender,

I'm a bit confused. You mention that you're using dbedit to import the file, but the thread is under Confwiz. From the limitations written there, I assume that this is indeed dbedit you are using and not Confwiz.

Have you used Confwiz to perform the initial ASA to XML conversion and then manipulated it to dbedit format?

Cheers,
    Ofer

Default Re: Tips for successful Confwiz import

Quote Originally Posted by Ender519 View Post
    1. Create the file in Notepad or similar regular text editor.

2. Double, triple check the syntax.

3. Make sure you have NO leading or trailing spaces. NO leading or trailing empty lines.

4. ONE command per line only! To change multiple attributes you need multiple lines, followed by an update command.

5. FTP the text file to the firewall.

6. If you are using SPLAT, you MUST use a utility called dos2unix, that will convert the file properly. This is the only way I found it to work, even if I tried using TextPad or similar to save in "Unix" format. Syntax is "dos2unix filename.txt"

7. Check your file with VI, there should be NO special characters now that it's properly formatted.

7. Use dbedit to import the file and cross your fingers.

If you see lines of output that look like syntax, you have a problem. Look for leading/trailing spaces or lines. Make sure you have the file formatted properly with VI. Make sure you have the syntax right.

It's a little picky, but INVALUABLE. Personally I used it to convert ASA to checkpoint. I was interested in network objects and NAT's only, and was able to save myself a boatload of time.
    Hi,
    Have you created a interoperable device object using dbedit?

Fred