PDA

View Full Version : QOS standalone configuration

loudermi
2008-01-16, 16:09
We are currently using QOS on our enforcement points, but with added load to the devices we need to remove the floodgate module. QOS (floodgate) forces the use of only one CPU in a multi-CPU/Core server and disables secureXL.
My question is can you run Floodgate on a standalone server without purchasing an additional licence for VPN-1 power. I understand that it requires features of VPN-1, however I do not want to use this as firewall; only QOS.

Thanks,

Tim

mcnallym
2008-01-17, 03:41
No you can't, it needs to be run ontop of the VPN-1 Power or as an add-on for UTM-1.

It might be worth looking at the VPN-1 Multicore depending upon what box you have to spread the load across the cpu cores in your server.

loudermi
2008-01-17, 13:29
Thanks,

I am unsure if coreXL will work with floodgate active. If it does, this will solve my problem. Do you have any idea on how to activate this module as a Demo to test functionality??? There is very little information on the checkpoint web site.

Thanks,

Tim

mcnallym
2008-01-23, 09:04
All CoreXL does is spread the load across multiple CPU cores. It isn't like SecureXL where is actually interfering with the processing of traffic.

I believe, although I could be wrong but it is a seperate package. You would need to contact your Check Point reseller to get the package to see if this would work for you.

loudermi
2008-01-23, 17:11
It has been confirmed by my local Checkpoint SE that CoreXL is not supported on systems running Floodgate QOS. This is just another limitation the floodgate QOS package adds to a VPN-1/Firewall-1 installation.