PDA

View Full Version : Problem Upgrade R76 to R77

Checkpointuser1
2016-05-02, 10:28
HI All,

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for 2 of 4400 running Gaia R76 in clustered & standalone where both Mgmt and SG are both installed on each appliance.

anyway, I've a similar setup in VMware when trying to do inplace upgrade through WebGUI, it kept failing at verification part.

This lab environment that I've set up in VMware, currently do not have access to the internet. Does it need to have access to the internet for the verification part? Thanks

Also, I've been trying to find article for R76 to promote secondary mgmt to primary, but kept finding an old article for older version I'm guessing because the command doesn't work in Gaia. thanks all in advanced.

jdmoore0883
2016-05-02, 10:54
Does it need to have access to the internet for the verification part?

A - No. Unless you are using CPUse, no internet connectivity is needed.

Also, I've been trying to find article for R76 to promote secondary mgmt to primary

A - Why are you trying to do this? It should not be needed. This activity would only really be needed in the even your Primary device died (completely inaccessible), you have no backups, and need to restore your management services. This action is not at all needed for any kind of upgrade.

Checkpointuser1
2016-05-02, 11:26
Thanks, so any idea why it's stuck at verification?
i tried using the 77.10 and 77.30 tgz, and both have failed.

and the reason why i wanted to promote secondary to primary is because currently, it's a clustered standalone setup.
I would like to introduce a dedicated mgmt server, but as far as I know, i can't really introduce an R77.30 management server into the R76 environment.
So, my plan is to introduce a new R76 Mgmt server, promote this as primary, then do in place upgrade to R77.30
Then upgrade the SGs.

If you think that there's a better way, would appreciate if you can please share.

Thanks

laf_c
2016-05-03, 07:16
Thanks, so any idea why it's stuck at verification?

and the reason why i wanted to promote secondary to primary is because currently, it's a clustered standalone setup.
I would like to introduce a dedicated mgmt server, but as far as I know, i can't really introduce an R77.30 management server into the R76 environment.
So, my plan is to introduce a new R76 Mgmt server, promote this as primary, then do in place upgrade to R77.30
Then upgrade the SGs.

If you think that there's a better way, would appreciate if you can please share.

Thanks

You sure have some work to be done here. Let's see one at a time:
1. What appliance will you use for the mgmt server in this upcoming Distributed scenario?
2. Can you try migrate export command on the primary mgmt server you use now?

Last but not least any R77.30 mgmt server can manage lower SG versions like R76.

jdmoore0883
2016-05-03, 09:07

Going from R76 to R77.xx would not be an in-place .tgz CLI upgrade... This process is for minor version upgrades, R77.xx to R77.xx (.R77 to R77.30 for example).

Going from R76 to R77 is a major version upgrade, and though can be done with a tgz package, there is no need to extract it. For further details, read up:
R77 Versions Installation and Upgrade Guide for Gaia Platforms
https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R77/CP_R77_Gaia_Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide/html_frameset.htm (https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R77/CP_R77_Gaia_Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide/html_frameset.htm)