PDA

View Full Version : 2200 will not run blades as sold by Check Point

security4it
2016-01-07, 11:04
I have a customer with a 2200 about 1 year old. When purchased this device shipped with 2gb of memory. When all the blades that were packaged with it were enabled the device went into swap 80% of the time. Support was no help, just not enough memory for installed blades. Fortunately we did not need all the blades at the time and disabled most of them. I am looking to re-purpose this device to a position that does require all the blades to run. Reviewing the spec on a current 2200 it now comes with 4gb of memory. I opened a ticket with Check Point to find out how to upgrade this device to 4gb and was informed the 2200 with 4gb is a 2200B ( funny not mentioned on there site). I find no mention of a 2200b announcement. Check Point is very stingy with the amount of memory in all of their appliances and I suspect they would not have upgraded unless they had lots of complaints.

Has anyone found the way to get Check Point to upgrade their 2200 to the new standard of 4gb?

jflemingeds
2016-01-07, 11:44
I have a customer with a 2200 about 1 year old. When purchased this device shipped with 2gb of memory. When all the blades that were packaged with it were enabled the device went into swap 80% of the time. Support was no help, just not enough memory for installed blades. Fortunately we did not need all the blades at the time and disabled most of them. I am looking to re-purpose this device to a position that does require all the blades to run. Reviewing the spec on a current 2200 it now comes with 4gb of memory. I opened a ticket with Check Point to find out how to upgrade this device to 4gb and was informed the 2200 with 4gb is a 2200B ( funny not mentioned on there site). I find no mention of a 2200b announcement. Check Point is very stingy with the amount of memory in all of their appliances and I suspect they would not have upgraded unless they had lots of complaints.

Has anyone found the way to get Check Point to upgrade their 2200 to the new standard of 4gb?

You should call your account rep about this. Support isn't the correct place to get hardware quotes.

security4it
2016-01-07, 13:34
in process - but the community should know these early devices will not run the packages as sold.

PhoneBoy
2016-01-07, 20:17
There is a way to upgrade the 2200 with additional RAM.
Please contact your Check Point sales rep.
If you don't know who your rep is, please PM me your User Center ID and I will look it up for you.

security4it
2016-02-02, 17:44
I finally got a call from the appropriate rep. According to him there is no path other than upgrade via trade-in. He is getting a price however I cannot imagine it would be reasonable. Really beginning to regret ever recommending appliance to customers.

The only other choice seems to be to turn on the blades and interrupt the customer and Check Point with service requests., a really bad option. We need a new device in the fall for a new site. If this isn't resolved it will be open systems with 8gb memory.

KGolomb
2016-02-05, 15:05
I finally got a call from the appropriate rep. According to him there is no path other than upgrade via trade-in. He is getting a price however I cannot imagine it would be reasonable. Really beginning to regret ever recommending appliance to customers.

Check Point seem to always find a way to want to sell you new devices. Instead of a simple memory chip sale (which you can easily do yourself) they want new appliances sold. I suspect to make their numbers look better ;-) or their wonderful support/ordering system can't handle the complex notion of a memory upgrade. They also pulled this when trying to get upgrade from a single appliance to a HA pair. They made us purchase an two new devices and then discard the original instead of just buying an additional HA member. (They will give you such a great discount to do so.)

F5 also pulled this you can't upgrade the memory stunt...so it isn't only Check Point.

Seems like a huge waste of good usable hardware to me...so much for being green.
Makes you just want to break those "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" security seals.

PhoneBoy
2016-02-05, 18:27
The current 2200 Appliance includes 4GB of RAM.
For customers who had previously bought the 2200, there is a SKU for upgrading the RAM to 4GB of RAM.
It's not in the pricelist (yet), but you should be able to order it.
Please contact me via PM if you need assistance with this.

Nanna
2016-02-22, 10:28
Im unable to send you a PM, can you please help me with details on ordering Ram upgrade to 4GB?

cciesec2006
2016-02-22, 14:41
I Check Point is very stingy with the amount of memory in all of their appliances and I suspect they would not have upgraded unless they had lots of complaints.

Checkpoint is an Israeli company so why are you suprised by this?

jeelmore
2016-02-22, 18:37
Here's what I got from my rep.

CPAC-RAM2GB-2200 Product Product 2200 memory upgrade kit. Only for 2200 with 2GB RAM into a 4GB RAM 2200 appliance SWB $ 400

This is list.

Jason

PhoneBoy
2016-02-22, 18:52
That looks like the correct SKU.
I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the SKU since it wasn't in the Product Catalog. :)