PDA

View Full Version : Security Management Backup Sizes

teeder44
2013-06-06, 10:04
Hi,

Why would the size of a backup on the primary Security Management server be so much bigger then the backup on the secondary Security Management server? In this case, the backup on the primary is about 9GB, while the backup on the secondary is about 600MB.

These are dedicated Security Management servers. No logs from clustered gateways unless dedicated log servers are down but logs should not be backed up anyways unless I use the -l option correct?

Thanks.

teeder44

bmolnar
2013-06-06, 11:34
Hi,

Why would the size of a backup on the primary Security Management server be so much bigger then the backup on the secondary Security Management server? In this case, the backup on the primary is about 9GB, while the backup on the secondary is about 600MB.

These are dedicated Security Management servers. No logs from clustered gateways unless dedicated log servers are down but logs should not be backed up anyways unless I use the -l option correct?

Thanks.

teeder44
How many database revisions do you have stored? They are included in backups

teeder44
2013-06-06, 12:15
That's what it was. At about 30MB per, with few hundred, it adds up. I had assumed they would be on the secondary also but no.

So what are people typically doing to clean these up. There must be a way to delete them after backing up?

But if delete them, they won't be part of backup, so would not be restored.

How many database revision control files are most people keeping?

bmolnar
2013-06-06, 14:40
That's what it was. At about 30MB per, with few hundred, it adds up. I had assumed they would be on the secondary also but no.

So what are people typically doing to clean these up. There must be a way to delete them after backing up?

But if delete them, they won't be part of backup, so would not be restored.

How many database revision control files are most people keeping?
If you have R71 or newer, there is an option to automatically delete old database revisions based on either X number of days, X number total or over X disk space. I usually keep the ones for either major changes and the ones from the last couple months.

teeder44
2013-06-06, 14:51
Thanks for the info, appreciate your help.

teeder44