PDA

View Full Version : GAIA R75.45 NTP server

accesslimiter
2012-11-15, 22:00
After setting a GAIA 75.45 system to use the NTP client to pull the time from a NTP server it also turns the GAIA system into a NTP server listening on all interfaces. Anyone know how to have GAIA act just as a NTP client and not a server without disabling the NTP client? I have found no docs indicating any server piece for NTP on GAIA. Thanks,

Jejerod
2012-11-16, 07:35
After setting a GAIA 75.45 system to use the NTP client to pull the time from a NTP server it also turns the GAIA system into a NTP server listening on all interfaces.

Technically, NTP clients running ntpd always listen on *:123. NTP uses bi-directional udp, so this is necessary.

SPLAT did not use ntpd, but netdate/ntpdate/sntp to set the clock every few minutes.

Anyone know how to have GAIA act just as a NTP client and not a server without disabling the NTP client? I have found no docs indicating any server piece for NTP on GAIA. Thanks,
Disable NTP and create a cronjob running '/usr/sbin/sntp <timeserver>' every 5 minutes or so if the *:123 listening bothers you.

accesslimiter
2012-11-16, 11:48
Thanks for the info Jejerod. I have also found that by following sk83820 and editing the ntp.conf file adding a line "restrict default ignore
" it will also stop the listening.