PDA

View Full Version : UTM-1 450 migrate to 2012 4600 appliance

cidic007@gmail.com
2012-09-23, 19:18
Hi People,
I'm a new cp geek, and I'm planning to migrate my old utm-1 450 box to a new 2012 appliance preferable the 4600 appliance.
My problem is I did not do the initial deployment for our current stand alone set up hence I need advice on the following setup.

Current Setup(locally managed): I have the UTM-1 450 box with R71.40 on it and it has both the smart center server as well as the enforcing module.

Questions:

- If I get the new 4600 appliance, will I get a new License or can I use the old one(detach from old and attach to new appliance)?
-I'm planning to use the migrate export/import to move configuration data from old box to new appliance - is this the best approach?
-For the new 4600 appliance, I understand it supports locally managed deployment as well(which I prefer), does it come pre-installed with R75.* ? - IF not then how do I go about installing the R75.* for a locally managed type - is it through the first time config. wizard or do we have to boot from an image via USB ?

Thank you so much and looking forward to responses.

cidic

Flixis
2012-09-26, 17:56
- If I get the new 4600 appliance, will I get a new License or can I use the old one
You will get a new license.

- ...is this the best approach?
Yes

- does it come pre-installed with R75.*
Yes, the minor version depends on the batch.
The batch from earlier this year came with R75.10 and R71.30.
If you don't console into the device during boot...by default, it will boot with the older version (R71.X).
You can web into the device (default = https://192.168.1.1:4434) and "revert" to the higher version.
Appliance -> Image Management -> check the version you require -> "revert"

Or ...connect a serial console, boot and press any key when you see “Press any key to see the boot menu [Booting in X seconds]”
Arrow down to "Reset to factory defaults - R75.10"
This will reset the device to factory fresh settings to that particular version.

On a side note, I would suggest reimaging the box using ISOmorphic and one of the following packages (depending on your version requirements):
"Check Point R75.40/R75.30/R71.40 Triple Image"
"R75.40 Gaia Fresh Install Package for Open Servers/Power-1/UTM-1/2012 Models/IP/Smart-1 5/25/50 (Gaia+)"
"R75.40 SecurePlatform Fresh Install Package for Appliances Power-1/UTM-1/2012 Models/Data Center"

Even though the box is brand new... I have run into weird issues with the 2012 appliances, and doing a fresh install has fixed those issues.
May have been an earlier batch issue...either way, I would "fresh install" to be safe, and save you from having to patch.

Hi People,
I'm a new cp geek, and I'm planning to migrate my old utm-1 450 box to a new 2012 appliance preferable the 4600 appliance.
My problem is I did not do the initial deployment for our current stand alone set up hence I need advice on the following setup.

Current Setup(locally managed): I have the UTM-1 450 box with R71.40 on it and it has both the smart center server as well as the enforcing module.

Questions:

- If I get the new 4600 appliance, will I get a new License or can I use the old one(detach from old and attach to new appliance)?
-I'm planning to use the migrate export/import to move configuration data from old box to new appliance - is this the best approach?
-For the new 4600 appliance, I understand it supports locally managed deployment as well(which I prefer), does it come pre-installed with R75.* ? - IF not then how do I go about installing the R75.* for a locally managed type - is it through the first time config. wizard or do we have to boot from an image via USB ?

Thank you so much and looking forward to responses.

cidic

cidic007@gmail.com
2012-09-26, 18:28
Hi Flixis,
Thank you very much for your answers to my confusions - B/W when you are talking about fresh install do you mean the option of 'Reset to factory defaults - R75.10' during boot up?.. If not then how to I carry out a fresh install?

Thank you

Cidic