PDA

View Full Version : How to Boot from external DVD Drive

goldberg
2012-02-06, 16:18
Hi, I have several of the 12200 appliances and I'm wondering how do I get these appliances to boot from the external DVD Drive. Anyone know?

vermaelen
2012-02-06, 16:40
Hi there. I just got the same issue today.

Try booting, and going to the bios ( press dell ). There you can select the proper boot order. If the bios is password protected, You will need checkpoint to unlock it. I opened a TAC case for this, and in a remote session, they unlocked the BIOS. They didn't want to give me the password :(

alienbaby
2012-02-06, 19:06
They did not wanted to give me the password :(

But surely you had your serial port's data being mirrored off to a file? ... :)

checkpointfan
2012-02-07, 23:12
Unlocking the bios and changing the boot order is one way to boot from external dvd. password MRPEKR.

zgamer
2012-08-09, 11:03
Unlocking the bios and changing the boot order is one way to boot from external dvd. password MRPEKR.

Tried in both upper and lower case on a 4610 appliance fails to work. Any ideas?

Carsten
2012-08-14, 05:05
If I remember correctly, you have to press a key to get the boot menu, just read the display messages carefully, I think it was "B".
Once you are in the boot menu, press tab key to see the available options.
To boot from USB stick you have to enter Smart1, we had to choose /dev/sdb1 for the USB stick. Should be similar for USB DVD.

If you want to use USB sticks, just create them with the Checkpoint tool ISOmorphic, very easy.
We plan to have one stick in each appliance, and if we want to upgrade later, we can download the new ISO file with the firewall, and if the USB stick is mounted, we can directly replace the ISO file and afterwards boot from the stick.

Cheers,
Carsten

sanhy85
2012-08-21, 09:35
If I remember correctly, you have to press a key to get the boot menu, just read the display messages carefully, I think it was "B".
Once you are in the boot menu, press tab key to see the available options.
To boot from USB stick you have to enter Smart1, we had to choose /dev/sdb1 for the USB stick. Should be similar for USB DVD.

If you want to use USB sticks, just create them with the Checkpoint tool ISOmorphic, very easy.
We plan to have one stick in each appliance, and if we want to upgrade later, we can download the new ISO file with the firewall, and if the USB stick is mounted, we can directly replace the ISO file and afterwards boot from the stick.

Cheers,
Carsten

I have tried the ISOMorphic tool without any success. Wonder if you can help me with some pointers.
1. Used ISOMorphic and inserted R75.40 SPLAT Appliance iso into a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer USB Drive. (Contains 4 files: syslinux.cfg, k-dok, r-dok, iso file)
2. Rebooted SG4600 and press B to select the usb drive as the boot device. It just shows the device list and no tab to provide further options.
3. It continues to load and boot the local hard drive.
(I have ensured that MD5 for ISO is ok and tried it on a few flash drives as well)

Carsten
2012-08-22, 11:48
You have to get to the point somehow where several options are listed like serial, vga, localdrive, smart1 etc.
There is no tab to be shown, I meant the tabulator key on the keyboard.
Choose smart1. After some time you might get a list with devices like /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb1.
Now choose the USB device, in our case it was /dev/sdb1 if I remeber correctly.

sanhy85
2012-08-22, 19:13
You have to get to the point somehow where several options are listed like serial, vga, localdrive, smart1 etc.
There is no tab to be shown, I meant the tabulator key on the keyboard.
Choose smart1. After some time you might get a list with devices like /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb1.
Now choose the USB device, in our case it was /dev/sdb1 if I remeber correctly.

Hi Carsten,

Initially, I managed to auto-boot (never press anything) and got to see this

boot:
vga smart1 serial localdrive
boot: smart1

- At this point, it did not show the device list as you mentioned: /dev/sdb1

I tried for 2-3 times , it reached the portion where it loads the USB storage driver and indicated no device driver found.
However, when I rebooted the appliance on the 4th time, the boot option no longer appears and continue to boot to local drive.

Did a factory default image restore as well and yet the boot option did not appear anymore.

Carsten
2012-08-23, 04:58
Hi sanhy,

then I do not know, sorry :-(

In a couple of days I will get access to some new 4600 appliances which must be installed, I will try and tell about it.

Carsten
2012-08-28, 09:57
Ok, now I had the opportunity to have a look by myself.
I experienced exactly the same issue.
All USB sticks were created with ISOmorphic (newest version build 73).

First USB stick:
Was not working at all, I did not even get a boot menu, although ISOmorphic showed no problem.

Second USB stick:
Worked a little bit, was like you described, I got the boot menu and typed "serial" (smart1 is apparently for smart1 appliances, serial is the choice for all others), afterwards the firewall did something and then complained it has no driver (did not tell for which device though, nice Checkpoint).

Third USB stick:
I got the boot menu, typed in serial and everything worked fine as intended.

Bottom line:
The appliances are extremely picky regarding the USB sticks. So even if ISOmorphic does not show an error but you still cannot install properly, try another USB stick. And then another...

alienbaby
2012-08-28, 12:37
Does CheckPoint have an HCL with supported/tested USB flash drives or manufacturers? Can't seem to find one..

What was the manufacturer of the flash drive that ultimately worked?

My success was had with a Patriot Rage Xporter XT 16GB.

I also use a Zalman VE300 in Optical Drive mode.

Carsten
2012-08-29, 04:03
By now I know of 3 Sandisk sticks which worked, so we will recommend to our sites to get Sandisks along with the new appliances.

I already asked Checkpoint if it is possible to offer official sticks which are already ready to go. Because it is very annoying that local IT at our remote sites has to order USB sticks and charge it back to our head quarter due to our costs structure. And I am not in the mood to order them, prepare them and send them out into the world. If you could just order a stick along with a firewall from the local supplier it would be much easier.

Carsten
2012-08-30, 18:20
Today I talked with a guy from Check Point, he confirmed the problem with cheap USB sticks and recommended Sandisk or Kingston.
Check Point is considering to implement a boot manager like on IPSO for Gaia as well ( I would love it), but unfortunately it is very far away on the road map.