PDA

View Full Version : Passed today....

SmashySmashy
2011-05-12, 13:40
Passed today with a respectable(ish) 85%. This was my first attempt at the R71 exam after messing up my attempt at the R70 exam towards the end of last year.

110 questions in 120 mins and was far from easy but I would say its much fairer than the R70 exam - less questions were on subjects that arent covered in the courseware and there was less emphasis on needing to know exactly where everything is on the menus etc and more emphasis on more practical aspects and theory.

For study purposes I used:

- R70 courseware
- Checkpoint PDFs
- Boson Netsim R70
- Check Point practice exams (R70 + R71)
- Eval versions and VMWare

Neither the courseware or the PDFs seemed to contain everything I saw in the exam so ideally you'd get both, Boson Netsim is terrible so dont bother with that, but the Check Point practice exams are very useful; if you know everything in them you've already got yourself 10% in the bag.

If you're reading this thinking about studying for the CCSA, I'd advise you not to bother. I do a lot of study and this has by far been the most tedious and frustrating cert I've done, not because the subject material is particularly hard but its almost as if Check Point dont want you to pass. The courseware is hugely expensive, badly written, has a lot of mistakes and doesn't cover the exam. Its not even useful for reference because it has no index at the back making revision quite irritating. The labs dont all work either. The exam itself can throw up all manner of questions on SNX or obscure CLI commands that you are unlikely to come across or questions that are badly written or ambiguous. Do a Cisco cert instead.

If you've decided you're going to do the CCSA but you're not sure whether to do the R70 or R71 then I'd say do the R71, much fairer exam and a slightly more focused set of questions due to there being no Check Point IPS or Check Point Software Blades sections.

I'm very pleased to have passed but I will not for the forseeable future be doing any Check Point certs! Good luck everyone!

Aerrow
2011-08-09, 21:55
passed the exam on 3rd aug 2011.... there were 110 questions as mentioned by you... its one of the coolest exam i have attended ever.. :)

Barry J. Stiefel
2011-08-11, 02:34
passed the exam on 3rd aug 2011.... there were 110 questions as mentioned by you... its one of the coolest exam i have attended ever.. :)What do you mean by "coolest"?

Chrysalis
2011-08-15, 09:12
Barely made it today with 78%

I used the following:

- R71 courseware (did all the labs first (vmware), then read the book and did the labs again when prompted to at the end of each chapter)
- Constantly got in the 90's for the Check Point practice exam (R71) - got about 30 questions from this in the test

I also got 110 questions in 120 minutes. Finished the exam in 30 minutes, so time wasn't an issue.

I thought the questions were fair. I also got some SNX and IPSO related stuff that isn't in the courseware but they are all in the pdf's which the courseware does tell you to read to "find out more". I'm sorry I didn't go through these pdf's as I'm sure most of the 22% I missed would have been in there.

One thing's for certain, memorising the practise exam is not going to help you pass, you need to study the material.

northlandboy
2011-08-15, 17:38
I also got 110 questions in 120 minutes. Finished the exam in 30 minutes, so time wasn't an issue.

30 minutes? Wow. I'm sure if it was me trying to race through 110 questions that quickly (16.4s per question), that I could attribute at least some of the 22% missed to simple misreading of questions.

Chrysalis
2011-08-16, 16:16
The one liners hardly took a second :)

joluap
2011-08-31, 17:46
hi, i 'll do exam ccsa r71, someone have testkings or maybe a recommendation, i'd heard that are 110 questions, please...!!!

sudha1025
2011-11-30, 04:03
CCSA R71 exam
------------------
Cleared the exam today.I am feeling very happy.In security domain,this is my first certification.

CourseWare
--------------
CCSA R70 BOOK
CHECKPOINT PRACTICE EXAMS R70,R71.
DOCUMENTS R71