PDA

View Full Version : CP Newbie Question - How to install management server?

cpguy
2006-05-24, 12:03
How to install a management server on Linux box (or can you)using SPLAT R55. All I have is the CD with the SPLAT ISO. I am trying to setup a lab at home so I can teach myself how to install SPLAT using LB and/or HA. I have two PC's with SPLAT installed now I want to install the management server but I don't know which file on the CD to use. Or where can I find good documentation?

Any help would be appreciated.

mmoret
2006-05-24, 17:23
Install on a third splat is the easiest (or win2k3). A third server is needed when using a cluster setup, the management must be on a separate server.
Clustering does not work from within VMware/VirtualPC.

Install just as a firewall, only select primary management when running sysconfig/cpconfig after splat is installed.

Also on the cd all documentation is included, and can be downloaded from the checkpoint site. The installation guide is very clear on setting up a distributed environment.

Good luck
Martijn

larstr
2006-06-26, 04:35
Why wouldn't it work within VMware?

Lars

chillyjim
2006-06-26, 10:16
Why wouldn't it work within VMware?

Lars

It will work in VMWare with the following two points:

1.) The web based UI will time out during the setup wizard. If you use sysconfig from the CLI all is good. After the initial setup the web UI works just fine.

2.) VMWare is not a supported platform. Should you need assistance from TAC, they might well tell you to migrate your SC to a supported platform before assisting you.

chillyjim
2006-06-26, 10:19
How to install a management server on Linux box (or can you)using SPLAT R55. All I have is the CD with the SPLAT ISO. I am trying to setup a lab at home so I can teach myself how to install SPLAT using LB and/or HA. I have two PC's with SPLAT installed now I want to install the management server but I don't know which file on the CD to use. Or where can I find good documentation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Using the SPLAT CD (CD1 from R60 or R61) just like you did with the gateways. when runing through sysconfig or the webUI the first time, chose "SmartCenter" as the product to load.

kva.kva
2006-06-26, 15:04
Originally Posted by chillyjim

1.) The web based UI will time out during the setup wizard. If you use sysconfig from the CLI all is good. After the initial setup the web UI works just fine.

I don't like web ui, but i didn't have problems with it on vmware. May be it depends on vmware product and version.

chmelvv
2006-07-04, 11:44
I don't like web ui, but i didn't have problems with it on vmware. May be it depends on vmware product and version.
I have this problem with WEB GUI, so became config via sysconfig
(I have VMWare ESX 2.5)