PDA

View Full Version : NGX Smartcentre backup

mthomas
2006-05-09, 11:35
Can someone please advise on the best way to backup my configuration on a Smartcentre server just in case I get a hardware failure? My smartcentre server is running on a windows 2003 platform using Checkpoint NGX.

kva.kva
2006-05-10, 06:38
Use "backup" command or "upgrade_export". Backup better, i think.

mthomas
2006-05-10, 10:48
does this back up the registry files to? my understanding is that when you back up manually you need to save the registry files.

oliver
2006-05-10, 11:05
upgrade_export only saves the database including objects, security policy,... but it does not save network settings nor registry.

kind regards
/oliver

kva.kva
2006-05-11, 01:51
"backup" create backup all CP configuration not system configuration.
Configuration files (may be registry, may be smth else) of network interfaces are dependend on OS. If you have SPLAT, so you have tools for backup all system configuration. But if you have another OS - you need another tools to backup your network configuration (may be build-in OS, may be 3'rd party).

mthomas
2006-05-11, 06:45
Thanks for the info. I am sorry to ask silly questions but I am new to checkpoints. Basically, I want to only backup the Checkpoint NGX files, not the system configs. That way, if get a hardware failure on the Smartcentre, I can build a new server and then just restore the smartcentre with the backup files.

I have noticed from some documents that when you backup the smartcentre server you need to backup the following files manually:

$FWDIR/conf/Objects_5_0.C
$FWDIR/conf/rulebases_5_0.fws
$FWDIR/conf/slprulbases_5_0.fws
$FWDIR/conf/fwauth.NDB

$FWDIR/conf/internalCA.*
$FWDIR/conf/ICA*.*
$CPDIR/conf/sic_cert.p12

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Checkpoint\SIC

Am I correct in assuming that the “upgrade_export” will backup all the Checkpoint NGX configuration files including those mentioned above. So that in the event of a smartcentre server failure I can rebuild a new windows server, then install the NGX software and then use the “upgrade_import” tool to restore the Checkpoint NGX configuration files?

Lackie
2006-05-14, 06:39
Am I correct in assuming that the “upgrade_export” will backup all the Checkpoint NGX configuration files including those mentioned above. So that in the event of a smartcentre server failure I can rebuild a new windows server, then install the NGX software and then use the “upgrade_import” tool to restore the Checkpoint NGX configuration files?Yup, that is correct.