PDA

View Full Version : Job market for checkpoint

JuniorMember
2010-02-15, 06:25
Hi All,

I have recently got a junior role in checkpoint field they said they are going to train me particularly in checkpoint products but how is the job market for checkpoint do you really think checkpoint has a good potential please advice.

demijan
2010-02-16, 05:35
It is definitely a very good start

JuniorMember
2010-02-25, 07:04
Thank you for you reply,l am working as a network engineer with a cisco gold partner. I wanted to find out how the job market is with checkpoint as i will be moving out of cisco towards checkpoint please reply.

chillyjim
2010-02-25, 10:08
In upstate NY (Not the hot bed of jobs in the world) I am constantly asked if I know any good Check Point engineers looking for a job. This comes from both resellers and from end-users. Having your Cisco Certs on top of your CHKP certs is a big bonus.

hotice_
2010-02-25, 10:54
I'm curious, what's the range like in Upstate NY? (Albany I presume?)

vijay_vya
2010-03-01, 01:59
Dear All,

I have 4+ strong experiance in Security Operations Includes Network Security(Checkpoint Firewall), Nokia, SPLAT. Also i have worked on Websense, VA,PT, Hardening of OS, Router and Switches.

Last year i have applied for H1B and got selected but unfortunately i could not get any inerviews from USA,Iam from India, Can any one of you help me in getting interviews at US.

Thanks in Advance
Regards
Vijay

gavvys
2010-03-09, 02:22
Yes checkpoint has good market for jobs but make sure you should be good in troubleshooting as well, learn differnet troubleshooting commands ,understand the product thoroughly.You should have good networking knowledge to have good oppurtunities.

cciesec2006
2010-03-10, 12:33
Yes checkpoint has good market for jobs but make sure you should be good in troubleshooting as well, learn differnet troubleshooting commands ,understand the product thoroughly.You should have good networking knowledge to have good oppurtunities.

Here is my 2c. Make sure you have skills in the following areas:

- Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto & Checkpoint firewall skills. Palo Alto may be hard,
- Cisco routing & switching skills,
- Linux/Solaris skills,
- RSA SecurID, Cisco ACS, Juniper Radius skills,
- wireless such as 802.1x PEAP and LEAP,
- troubleshooting skills,
- LOT of certifications. This will show prospective employers that you are serious about the IT business,
- Most importantly, a home lab. You can buy Cisco, Juniper and PCs to run SPLAT and cheap Nokia IP appliances really cheap these days. You can get the whole setup for less than 2k, IMHO. I am suprised by the skills lacking in IT people themselves. People know Cisco firewalls but not Checkpoint and vice versa. They heard of RSA SecurID but have never used it. You get the idea.

If someone I interview shows me that he/she has a home lab and can do these above things, I will be very glad to hire that person in a heart beat.

While we're on the job market, my eight years old daughter asked a question the other day when I took her to my work place. She asked me why there are so few black people in the IT office. I have never thought about it until she asked me that question. In my IT department of about 1000, about 70% of the people is either Asians or Indians while the rest is Angelo white. There are a few black female folks here as executive assistants. There are a few black folks in the office but most of them were born some where else and not in the US.

Now that I have thought about it, I am curious as to why there are not many black folks in the IT field.